Friday 31 July 2009

Loving Children unconditionally

Recently I’ve subscribe to Positive Parenting weekly newsletter. Okay, I know some might says that I’m too anxious/kiasu/obsess over Gabby upbringing or being a ‘perfect’ parent. The funny thing is I’m used to think about my friends (with kids) too. It is only come to this stage of life then you realize you do need quite a lot of external advice to keep your life in ‘sane’.

To me, raising a child is like an art. It require a person to equips with the knowledge, patience, experience and most important, LOVE. Gabby is my 1st born, hence to increase my experience and lessen ‘the pain’, is to read on related topic and talk to experienced parents. So this begins my journey on my new found reading topic.

Back to the subject, there is a column in the weekly newsletter that caught my attention.

7 Helpful Reminders on Loving Children UNCONDITIONALLY*
1. Children are children.
2. Children tend to act like children.
3. Much of childish behavior is unpleasant.
4. If I do my part as a parent and love them despite their childish behavior, they will be able to mature and give up childish ways.
5. If I love them only when they please me(conditional love) ... it will make them feel insecure, damage their self-image and actually prevent them from developing better self-control and exhibit more mature behavior.
6. If I love them only when they meet my requirements or expectations, they will feel incompetent. Insecurity, anxiety and low self-esteem will plague them.
7. If I love them unconditionally, they will feel good about themselves and be comfortable with themselves. They will then be able to control their anxiety and in turn, their behavior, as they grow into adulthood.
* Reference: Positive Parenting Digest, A weekly publication of Institute of Advanced Parentology

This is a reminder to me that no matter how ‘unpleasant’ Gabby can be at times, she is still my beloved child. My love for her can never be lessened but increased over the time, just like GOD love for us is unconditional and will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment